CAT Topper 2019: Meet Lakshya who scored 99.99 percentile, take tips from him for next CAT 2020

I followed some tips and tricks and those resulted in fruitful success by attaining 99.99 percentile, say Lakshya, one of the CAT toppers.


CAT Topper 2019: Meet Lakshaya who scored 99.99 percentile in CAT 2019 exam, take a look at his tips and tricks for CAT 2020
CAT Topper 2019: Meet Lakshaya who scored 99.99 percentile, take a look at his tips and tricks for CAT 2020

CAT Topper 2019: CAT result 2019 was declared on January 3, 2020 and candidates have come up flying colours as there are many candidates who have scored above 90% percentile.

Lakshya, one of the top scorer in CAT 2020 toppers list, has attained 99.99 percentile.

India Today Education congrates Lakshya on securing over 99 percentile in CAT 2019! We were in conversation with Lakshya and got to know so much about his preparation strategies and success mantras.

Lakshya is currently studying in Shaheed Sukhdev College of Business Studies and pursuing Bachlors of Management Studies, final year. He is a Delhi-based boy who is keen for attaining big success in his future endeavours.

CAT 2019 Topper: Overall and sectional percentile and scaled scores

  • Overall - 229.48 (99.99 Percentile)
  • Verbal - 83.56 (99.98 Percentile)
  • DI/LR - 75.98 (99.98 Percentile)
  • Quant - 69.94 (99.7 Percentile)

How was the feeling when you got to know about your result?

As the result day begun, I felt excited from that point only. I was hoping for something good and great and God gifted me with a fruitful success. I felt very happy and was on cloud 9 at that point. Everyone was feeling good and I could see that.
I have certain plans with me, as after this CAT 2019 result, my first preferences are old IIM's-Ahmedabad, Bangalore and Calcutta. These are my dream colleges and I want to give my 100% after my selection.

On talking about how he started preparing for CAT 2019 exams, Lakshya seemed confident every time.

I started preparing for CAT 2019 in March 2019, but got in full pace after my summer break i.e. from June end. To start my preparation, I took a mock test to figure out my base level. One mock test every week helped me a lot to tackle with my weakness and tough sections. I then started analysing my performance after each mock test.

"Mock tests helped me know my weakness and strengths, say lakshaya", one of the CAT exam 2019 toppers.

I always had well balanced approach for all sections, he added.

For Verbal: My approach was building up my reading speed and that was achieved by reading newspapers daily. I am fond of reading different novels too and this has improved my reading and understanding powers. The verbal ability section was a tough nut to crack for me but thinking about the question from an examiners perspective and allocating it a greater percentage of time during the actual exam (feasible due to fast reading pace) did help me a lot.

For DI/LR: During the mocks, I made sure that I read all the question sets first and then picked out the ones that were easy and could be managed instead of doing the questions in order of question paper.

For Quantitative Ability: This section is all about speed.My focus during mock and actual CAT was on the fact that I shouldn't miss out any easy or medium question and hence I deliberately left the difficult question for the last.

Key areas to focus in Quantitative Ability:

My approach was to practice a lot of basic arithmetic questions (profit and loss, Percentage,etc), Number system and geometry as these have been the key areas of focus for the CAT exam.

Did you go for any coaching?

Yes, I did. I was taking coaching classes from TIME institute in C.P, Delhi. I regularly practiced TIME mock tests and achieved great results in my examination.

CAT Topper 2019: Tips to other students

  • Regular studying pattern must be opted by each student in the starting itself
  • Practice of mock tests every week and analysing it deep to know your weaknesses
  • Go through the previous year question papers for each section
  • Follow some tips and tricks of previous toppers too
  • Everyone should not go for last minute preparation. Just go through what you have studied and keep your nerves calm
  • Time management is the most important factor during the entire course of CAT exam. So, manage those 3 hours of your paper by giving your best by beating the time.

What according to you were the toughest and easiest sections?

I was always fond of reading novels and hence easiest section for me was the Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension. I was practicing at least 3-4 RCs every day during the final month of preparation.

The toughest for me was DI/LR, the sole reason is the volatility of this section as the questions are not bound by any specific topic and hence practising a large number of previous years is a way out.

Post a Comment

வாசகர்களுக்கு வணக்கம்,


தாங்கள் வழங்கும் Comment - களை ஆசிரியர்கள் மட்டுமல்லாமல், தினந்தோறும் பல்லாயிரக்கணக்கான மாணவர்களும் பார்வையிடுகின்றனர். எனவே வருங்கால ஆசிரியர்களும் இந்த பொறுப்பை உணர்ந்து நாகரீகமாகவும், யாருடைய மனதையும் வருத்தப்படவைக்காத வகையிலும் தங்கள் Comment - களை வழங்கவும்.

- அன்புடன் QUESTIONSCHOOL

Previous Post Next Post